From 2014-2015, over 2,000 children were victims of child abuse, neglect, and abandonment in Circuit 5 – Citrus, Hernando, Lake, Marion and Sumter Counties. As of December 31, 2015, Circuit 5 had a total of 1,660 children in the formal child welfare system with 1,214 in out of home care and 738 placed in relative or non-relative homes.
For more information on each county, visit the links below.
Other Child Abuse Statistics
There were 11,399 investigated reports of child abuse in Circuit 5 from 2014-2015.
- 822 children endured abuse due to substance misuse.
- 725 children experienced abuse due to family violence.
- 215 children experienced physical injury.
- 141 children suffered sexual abuse.
- 935 children suffered neglect
- 4 children were verified as human trafficking victims.
In Florida alone, 290,655 children were the subject of investigative reports due to abuse, neglect or abandonment 20101. In 2011, 51,685 children were confirmed to be victims of abuse in Florida2.
- In 2011, 5% of victims were less than four years old
- In 2011, 52% of the victims suffered from neglect; 10% suffered from physical abuse and 5% suffered from sexual abuse
- In 2011, 19,760 children lived in foster care
One in four girls and one in six boys will be sexually assaulted before age 18. Perpetrators are often friends, family and other trusted adults.